Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Part 13: Mexicans, breaking the rules? That’s got to be a first.

Saturday June 16th, 2007.

Everyone left to visit NASA. GabyAle and I weren’t carried away with them because, at least personally, I didn’t want to go. I remember when I was a child I once went to NASA and it wasn’t impressive. That tour would have killed any child’s dream to become an astronaut.

It started with a bus ride, where they told us: “Over there, in the horizon to the right, there is a platform.” Followed by a museum where they had pictures and videos of rockets launching and the people who crewed them. I also remember there was a video of the Challenger exploding. Not a nice thing to see.

Anyway, I had my reasons not to go. So GabyAle and I went to the Health Museum. On our way there we saw this old black guy arguing (more like actually fighting) with... well, nothing. He was just standing there, yelling at the air (or his own reflection on a bus sign panel); really cursing out loud. Everyone at the bus stop, we just stared at each other and laughed nervously. "As long as he threatens a ghost, and not me, it's all good" said a tall black guy, laughing "I can even help him catch it. C'mon, hit it!" mimicking as he caught the ghost and held it for the crazy man to hit it.

The museum was pretty cool. They have all these mind games that are truly not for any kid. Yes, it’s all for kids, but really, I feel more like an old kid than a young adult (maybe wrongly).

At 5:03 pm (I know because a museum employee told us so) suddenly there were no people in the museum left but GabyAle and me. So we were told that the museum had closed at 5:00 pm.

After a while the rest of the people returned from NASA with beers, and so we all got together to drink a play cards. That was until someone tried to open the door.

Let me explain to you a little bit of background on Husky Village. There is quite a list of “don’ts”: including possession and consumption of alcohol. The person in charge is Sara Beth, “not the nicest person in the world”. There is constant surveillance by the R.A.’s and they can break into your room; they do that from time to time specially at hours when no one is in the apartment. And if that wasn’t enough, there is a strict rule forbidding opposite-sex people staying in the same apartment after 2:00 am.

So there we were, really late, all drinking and yelling until we heard someone at the door, and before knocking, he/she tried to open. We all inside saw how the knob turned but since the lock was on, he/she couldn’t enter. So we all “silently” RAN to hide the beer and ourselves, since we weren’t supposed to be in the girls apartment after 2:00 am!

GabyAle opened the door but no one was there. So after a moment of two, we kept on drinking, a little bit more silently. We stayed over though, because no one should see us guys walking out from a girl’s apartment. Stupid rules. I mean, we would have still probably stayed there over the night, but since there is a rule against it, now we’re doing it obligated.

Well, that’s what I get for living in the residence halls.

---------------------------------------------

Sunday June 17th, 2007.

I woke up without a hangover, which is good when you try to go to church in the morning. After church we guys prepared the breakfast for the girls and in the afternoon we went shopping for groceries and such.

I think it’s just too much that we’ve been here for two weeks and buy food every other day: we’ve already been to two WalMarts, Target, Fiesta, HEB, Foodarama and CostCo, so many times it’s not even funny. I guess I’ve been eating a lot, but I’m loosing weight because it’s almost just tuna and turkey.

We went to Ross, dress for less… I still don’t know how people keep going to those places. You can probably find one good item every tenth time you go there. After laughing when I saw the 5XL shirts that were larger than a regular beach towel, we left.

At night we just got together and watched Pirates of the Caribbean, the first movie on a laptop and that was it.

No comments: