Friday, June 15, 2007

Part 2: Residence Introduction

Sunday June 3rd, 2007

Woke up late, but not that late. Still tired from the day before, we had to attend yet one more "pep-talk" at 3pm, so I got my tuna ready and ate something (something horrible). This time the meeting was with Sara Beth, which is in charge of all residence halls or something; in Derek's words: "not the nicest person in the world".

She is what people call a two-face. She looks like she would be nice... in a creepy kind of way. You know, like when someone is smiling but her eyes are too wide open and the eyelid does that little tingling. Like that. She told us about the do's and don'ts around Husky Village. Examples of DONT'S include smoking, drinking, and possession of alcohol; examples of DO’S include not smoking, not drinking and not possessing alcohol and alcohol-related objects.

So after that super-talk we were introduced to our RA’s, or as in Sara Beth’s words “the captains of fun” (yey, just what I needed). My RA didn’t look that bad; actually, she looked hot, until she opened her mouth and revealed that she’s majoring in Christianity. Plus, she’s a bitch.

When all was said and done, we had a pool party! That was basically us and a swimming pool. I though that in order to have a party you needed music or something, but just us was good enough, we really needed to relax. Plus, the water really helps you to clean your ears when they’re full of shit, ‘cause that’s all we had heard the previous hours.

After the party we had a meeting with Dr. Moreno. For all of you who don’t know who Dr. Moreno is, he’s the one that coordinates this summer program from Monterrey. The one that coordinates it from here is Dr. Adol, whom I had still to meet.

At that meeting I realized that even though I had come to the program I still didn’t have a place inside it. For you who may not know, I was rejected from the program in the beginning but then accepted just 6 days before it started. So I was there, at that meeting, listening to what Dr. Moreno had to say when he realizes, there, in front of everyone, that he had assigned 5 people to go to the Methodist Hospital where he only had 4 available spots. And guess: Who was the last of those 5 people to get assigned? Who else. He told me not to worry, that I would have a place somewhere. Well, I didn’t worry that much.

Later on, Gisela needed to buy some stuff and so some of us decided that we wanted to go to Wal-Mart as well. But not the same Wal-Mart, that’s for sure. We asked for directions and got to another Wal-Mart; much closer and better. With real food, clean aisles, nice people, and yes: shopping carts.

No comments: