Friday, June 15, 2007

Part 3: “First day of school” or so I thought

Monday June 4th, 2007

6:50 am. I woke up to go with everyone to the Medical Center. I still hadn’t had a place to go, so I went back and forth in the Van with Dr. Moreno; dropping everyone to their respective locations. I went to Rice University and the Methodist Hospital. In one word: Pretty-fucking-neat.

I had lunch in Texas A&M, with the rest of the people that actually were attending there. After that I got the call from Dr. Adol Esquivel, he coordinates the summer program from here. He studied med school in Monterrey and now works at the Medical Center for the UT. The call was about an opportunity of involving in a project. Pros: it’s a really huge deal, it’ll most likely be published in an important medical journal, and it can open several opportunities for a PhD; cons: it’s not meant to be only for seven weeks, and it’s really hard work. After thinking about it I accepted (plus, I have nothing better going on in my life).

He scheduled me a meeting with Dr. Ananth Annapragada, PhD in Chemical Engineering that works for UT. So well, I’d see Dr. Ananth on Wednesday.

For the rest of the day nothing else really happened. Everyone else had their first day at work, I just went back and forth in the Van, just thinking how badly I wanted to get to my apartment so that I could write and send Dr. Ananth my Résumé.

Got home, sent it, and waited.

---------------------------------------------

Tuesday June 5th, 2007

Did nothing. Really. Seriously. Ok I waited for Dr. Adol’s email that was going to tell me where and when to meet Dr. Ananth, so I got it, and it said that Dr. Adol wanted to see me at 8 am at 7000 Fanning St, so that later I could meet Dr. Ananth at 9:30 am. Got some papers to read so that I wouldn’t go there not knowing anything about the guy.

In the afternoon I went out to jog for a while. Walked around campus and that was it.

No comments: